NPAC Students to Take a Bite of the Big Apple

NPAC visiting New York City in July

The Empire State Building is one of several sites the NPAC students want to see.

The Nanakuli High and Intermediate School Performing Arts Center will be visiting New York City and Broadway from July 11 to 18, 2017.

The purpose of this trip is for students to have a better understanding of a career in the performing arts and help develop their skills as a performer. They will also be visiting colleges in New York City and, of course, seeing cultural sites.

“The students will be participating in a Broadway workshop, have dinner with cast members of Miss Saigon and then see the show, and taking college tours of NYU and Columbia University.” said Robin Kitsu

The group will also see Broadway shows Waitress and Kinky Boots as well as visiting the 9/11 Memorial, The Statue of Liberty, and NBC Studios.

“I’m excited about seeing the colleges, because I plan to go there in the future,” said Kylie Butler, an eighth grader.

“I’m looking forward to learning the business of the performing arts” said Kaiolohia Bever, eighth grade.

The students and families in NPAC raised the monies needed to go on this trip by saving up and doing fundraisers.

There will be 9 students, two NPAC staff, and 5 parents going on this trip.

Kitsu said that the journey to New York City was met with several challenges.

“We originally had 18 students going and we were all set to perform in New York City, but as students dropped out due to the cost or other conflicts, the performance had to be canceled.”

NPAC would have performed at the Sony Technology Center.

The students expect to apply the skills and knowledge they learn from the trip in their performances next year and to share what they learned with other NPAC students.

“I’m excited about being in a big city and with all the people and to see museums, and just take in the spirit of the city; and of course, eat a real New York City bagel,” said, Ethan Hoppe Cruz.