The student news site of Nanakuli High and Intermediate School

Ka Leo ʻO Nanakuli

Rosalie’s Reactions: New Chapters

Rosalie Hobbs

We’ve all heard the saying, don’t judge a book by it’s cover, yet somehow in some strange unspoken way we all found our personal standards once we’d finish reading a great story.

And from that moment, we’ve had books which are near and dear to our hearts; and coincidentally, those same books are the ones with the power that can change or had change our lives.

So in my final Rosie’s Reaction, I’d like to tell you about my standards to a great story. And no, this time I’m not talking about books, I’m not even gonna bring up Peter Pan, I’m gonna talk about Senior Year.

Senior year was probably my greatest year for trials and tribulation, so yes, you can say I’m a lover for a fair share of cheesy cliché.

Things like relationships i.e. falling hard for my best friend/boy next door, standing at odds with classic teen novel jerks in school (Don’t be a bully)… and basically surviving academics in general (Shout out to Mr. Kawamoto).

Those are the random twists and turns “Life” writes into your story as you go. It keeps you on your toes and makes every chapter a little more interesting. However, it could also deter a reader from pursuing the rest of the story.

You see, I unlike most of my peers, had an overloaded schedule taking 11 classes instead of 7 or 4.

Academically this was the most challenging year in the history of my high school career, I had to learn how to prioritize, and how to balance such a heavy workload.

I had an Advanced Placement course, as well as two after school classes, and two online.

And I have to admit it wasn’t easy at all; it took a lot of time and effort. The amount of stress induced panic attacks which occurred was countless; I really felt close to giving up on a lot of things.

Everyone witnessed my lost of sanity and my dead-tired aura once exams came up. (We’re talking about days with literally 1-2 hours of sleep and 3 cups of coffee on average)

But somehow I pulled through for academics, I kept my spot on the Principal’s List (GPA’s of 3.5 or higher with no F’s) quarter after quarter.

I was close to leaving chapters unfinished and sentences hanging, but I didn’t. I keep turning the pages, and on May 20, 2017, I’ll be walking across a stage, completing the final chapter of my story so far.
The lesson in this final reaction and the overarching message in my series here on Ka Leo, is to never let a fear stop you from reading the next chapter.

Because you truly can’t judge a book by it’s cover or even the first 4 paragraphs, you can only do so accurately by daring to read it’s entirety.

Thank you so much for taking time out this year to read about my thoughts and stories on life. I honestly hope it’s given you a quirky perspective on how great it can be!