The student news site of Nanakuli High and Intermediate School

Ka Leo ʻO Nanakuli

New Year, New School

Keala Ford, Faith Rosario, Reporters

Kapolei Charter School (KCS) is a new public charter school located in Kapolei that believes in helping students succeed in the long run and is the only Goodwill funded school in Hawai’i.

And while based in Kapolei in Campbell Industrial Park, many students from Nanakuli and Waianae have chosen to attend this new school.

The mission of the school is to “interrupt generational poverty by providing customized, meaningful, and alternative educational opportunities to students who may not be successful in the traditional educational system.”

For Principal Wanda Villareal, the mission’s goal is to meet the needs of students after graduation.

“To provide a rigorous education for these students to make sure that they aren’t just getting a diploma but getting enough skills and knowledge to enter into college courses and not have to take prep courses.”

Having seen students finish high school and not go to college, Robyn Hartwell applied to work at Kapolei Charter School to help students carve pathways for their future career.

“As far as this school, I think I would’ve done projects that brought on a little bit more creativity verses so much maybe book work. I think in efforts to get out the black and white information, I skipped over some of the more investigative qualities. I’ve gotten some resources for inquiry-based learning.” said Hartwell.

Some students feel that this school’s education is similar to schools on the coast.

“I say that the education is very similar to KWON (Ka Waihona O Ka Na’auao). For example, the math here is similar. I did not go to a close school because my friends are here and I wanted to go to this school for the education, ” said Freshman Kanoa Koli’i

Hartwell feels that her students were prepared to come to KCS.

“I like teaching them, I think that you guys got, in the previous school you were at, you got a lot of really good learning practices, you’ve got a lot of creative not just ‘give me the answer and let me move on,’ but ‘I’m actually going to investigate this and understand this, this conceptual understanding,’ so I’ve really enjoyed it,” said Hartwell.

Although most students would not change much about the school, some feel that there isn’t enough room.

“The only thing I would change is the space because I think everything is so close together and is sharing one building is a little stressful,” said Freshman U’ilani Akamu.

The school’s long-term goal is to make sure that students stay with KCS until they graduate and ensure them going to college and getting a proper job.

“The long-term goal for this school is that all the students that come to KCS stay with us the entire time 100% of the students stay with us until their seniors, graduate and go to college have amazing jobs and become successful human beings,” said Villareal.

The short-term goal is to provide a rigorous education and modifying the curriculum while helping students through their struggles.

“The short-term goals make sure that we address all of the barriers that you meet so that you can be successful and just you know have a great school that we can be proud of,” said Villareal.

As for the students, although it is a longer drive to school, they feel it is a good learning experience.

“I would recommend this school to others because they have high expectations of education,” said Koli’i.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “New Year, New School”

1. Kainalu on October 3rd, 2017 8:18 am

I like this article and it makes me want to go to this school when I grow up.

[Reply]

2. Chanel on October 13th, 2017 6:59 am

Mrs. Wilcox was the best teacher I had for English and in csap classes…. she never gave up on me and always pushed me to never give up she made me have faith in myself and showed me that I could do it…. she helped me graduate and because of her I never gave up I kept trying and I did… she is the reason I am where I am today…. you will always be missed mrs. Wilcox but never forgotten….

[Reply]

Ka Leo 'O Nanakuli intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Ka Leo 'O Nanakuli does not allow anonymous comments, and Ka Leo 'O Nanakuli requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• New Year, New School

Features

In Memoriam: Mrs. Christine Wilcox

• New Year, New School

Features

Setting students up for college success

• New Year, New School

Features

Ethan’s Insights: Extra, Extra, READ All About It!

• New Year, New School

Features

What Are You Looking Forward To This School Year?

• New Year, New School

Features

Rosalie’s Reactions: New Chapters

• New Year, New School

Features

FAST/Stroke Education Program

• New Year, New School

Features

Alvin Ailey Dance Camp Inspires Students Across the State

• New Year, New School

Features

What Happens in Vegas, Stays in NHIS

• New Year, New School

Features

A`ali`i allows new opportunities to arise

• New Year, New School

Features

Rosalie’s Reactions: The Peter Pan Syndrome Hits Seniors

New Year, New School