Ka Leo ʻO Nanakuli

FAST/Stroke Education Program

Aloha Nanakuli students and faculty. We will be participating in a FAST/Stroke education program created by the American Heart/Stroke Association and Queen’s Medical Center. The goal of the program is bring awareness to the warning signs of a stroke and to encourage people to take action in the event that you notice someone having a stroke. Stroke is the #3 cause of death in Hawaii and the #1 cause of long term disability. By learning the warning signs of a stroke you will have the knowledge you need to save a life.

We will all be receiving some materials from the American Heart/Stroke Association and Queen’s Medical Center tomorrow/today. We will all be receiving a letter and a magnet that highlight F.A.S.T. which is an acronym for the warning signs of a stroke. The information on the letter is meant to be shared with our families so they too can have the knowledge to spot a stroke. The F.A.S.T. magnet is meant to go on your fridge so every time you get something to eat or a drink of water you can remind yourself what FAST stands for.

We will be giving out a special thank you for students that bring back their letters filled out. Each student that shares the FAST, stroke warning signs with their families and brings back the bottom portion of the letter will receive a FAST duck. It is a duck key chain with FAST printed on the tail that you can put on your keys or on your backpack.

Our goal is to turn in as many parent letters as we can. Help us get the word out about FAST and Stroke! Thank you for all of your help! Please view the FAST/Stroke videos: