The Scope on Anatomia

Siaosina Aina

Students receive training on ankle wrapping in a mission to save Santa, before ending the class with food and friendship.

Want to pursue a job in the medical field? Like working with microscopes and conducting experiments? Then, Anatomia is for you! Students in Anatomia meet every other Saturday in room C102, where they get a hands-on learning experience.

According to Katrina Giang, a sophomore at NHIS, “Anatomia is a bi-weekly Saturday class where high school students work with first year medical students in all types of different activities… We do experiments, go on field trips, and do a lot of community service. Some of the activities that we do in this class are we do some medical themed activities, go to Dave and Busters and to the Waimanalo Homeless Village for families with children.”

While this is not an accredited class, students who are in the regular biology class are given extra credit to their final grade along with getting to experience what it’s like to work in a lab type setting.

Joseph Blancaflor, junior, said, “We do some really fun activities like dissection and saving Santa Claus.”

Along with learning and participating in medical themed activities, students have a chance at making friends, setting goals, taking part in helping the community, and going on field trips.

Kaui Leong, sophomore, said, “I love going to it [Anatomia], I think it’s an amazing experience for students to socialize and do hands on activities… The last time that I went to Anatomia we did this project where you picked a whole bunch of pictures describing yourself and your future goals. We then posted it onto a board and took it home as a reminder as to where we are right now and where we want to be in the future.”

Students who are in the regular science class are highly encouraged to bring friends that are interested in the medical field and spread the word about Anatomia.

Elijah Cameros, sophomore, said, “I like this class a lot. It helps me out a lot with all of my classwork, my school work, and my biology work. It helps me bring up my grade.”

While Anatomia does help with science, students are also getting help on improving their interviewing skills and techniques.

Jaymes Lonzanida, a medical student at John A. Burns School of Medicine, said, “Anatomia is an educational opportunity for students to kind of enrich their biology skills… Students have the opportunity to dissect pigs they also learn interviewing skills… Where they kind of portray the doctor and interview the patient to find out what’s wrong.”

In the past class on December 17th 2016, students had a chance to be the doctor for the day and interview a patient. After reading about a case, students had to go through the process that a doctor has to and ask questions to learn more about the patient before assisting the patient.

This program helps students with bringing up their grades, learning about the life of a medical student, create a bond with a medical student, and socialize with others. Anatomia is a mix of high school students, so this program helps students step out of their comfort zone and make friends with people they don’t know.

If you would like to join, you can either attend with a friend or stop by C102 during the week and inform the teacher about your interest in going.

Leong also said, “The most rewarding thing about Anatomia is how it’s so welcoming. Everyone gets along with each other and you will never feel left out.”