The student news site of Nanakuli High and Intermediate School

MEMORIES TO LAST A LIFETIME

June 10, 2018

Being a teacher and a SAC Nishi also gained many memories that not only bring her joy, but also life lessons and examples that she will take from the students and community of Nānākuli.

“So this is a really nice story—so I guess a parent and her new spouse brought in her child. And this girl, you could tell that she was from town. Just how she looked and everything and she looked like she was really afraid to be here. And I told the parents, “Just go I can take her to her classroom.” So this girl I’m walking with her to class and as soon as we walk in the door I said, “Excuse me, we have a new student.” All the kids, they turned and they look and they go, “Oh sit by me! Come sit by me!” They just welcome; and that’s what I notice here at Nanakuli, they welcome people with open arms,” said Nishi joyfully.

Nishi also added, “And before I used to sell ice cream here, before we had that wellness policy where we can’t sell all kinds of stuff. But we used to sell ice cream and students would come in and a student might have a ten dollar bill and he’ll go, “What you like? What you like? What you like?” And he would treat all his friends, even though that means he’s not going to have money the rest of the week. But they are just so generous, so giving. I have learned so much about people here at Nanakuli, just really genuine people.”