Keep the S.T.E.A.M. Flowing Next Year

Staff Editorial

The S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) Fair on January 30, 2018 displayed work of excellence by students in the Career Technical Education and Science pathway classes to the whole NHIS student body.

The school had a special schedule which allowed students to visit different stations to see and hear presentations by students as well as community organizations.

Students picked up confidence and presented to others on their projects as well as sharing to other students what kind of work is being done in these classes. This event can enhance social aptitudes, speaking abilities, and numerous other fundamental abilities that are required for the duration of one’s life.

Yet there have been some questions on whether the S.T.E.A.M. Fair should continue next school year.

The S.T.E.A.M. Fair should proceed annually from now on since it urges students to be more certain about what profession pathway they will choose which impacts their future. Displaying work to students causes them to have an even more successful vision for their future.

The Fair should continue to be all-day, and be open to all students of Nanakuli High and Intermediate School for numerous reasons. A number of students said that they learned new skills and one student expressed that he needed to go into the Science field because of what he had seen in the various presentations.

The Fair exposes students to numerous and different activities that a student may never see within their time at NHIS. There may be people there that a student would have never met without this Fair. These interactions help guide students to make career decisions for their life after high school.

One of the stations showed a green machine smoothie maker. It was a bicycle powered smoothie maker, where one person had to spin the wheels of the bicycle and it would spin and mix the smoothy. This booth taught students how to stay green while making a drink that is healthy for their body and the environment.

Another station consisted of a representative from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). A student would not be able to have this opportunity without the Fair.

Not only does the Fair create successful vibrant futures, but students were encouraged to listen to the many different stations, and were given a card to do so. Students needed to get their card stamped or initialed by an adult after being engaged and listening to a presentation. After getting all of the boxes on the card signed, they turned it in and was entered to receive a prize.

This card activity should continue because it encourages students to visit more than just what they think they are interested in. Students would need to visit all of the stations and presentations to fill all of the boxes. Students are then exposed to other pathways and could possibly change their career choice, and learn something new.

Still, there are slight changes to implement in the Fair to provide more opportunities for students.

Students who are presenting projects at the Fair should be able to get a chance to go around and see the many different stations that are offered. One idea is for more students to present and they could take turns presenting so they all have that chance to go around.

All students should be able to see all of the locations, just as any other. If the students were to switch off, not only would the students get to see the stations, but all or majority of the students in each class that are presenting would be able to focus on their presentational skills which include fixing posture, nervousness, volume while speaking and effective communication. These are skills that more students should get to practice and apply.

Even though S.T.E.A.M. should be an all-day event, some commented that it is not worth taking up the entire day because there was just so much free time left over so the students roamed around freely. Some students just sat around doing nothing for the last 20 plus minutes but had to stay in their designated areas.

As a solution, the S.T.E.A.M. Fair should open up to a variety of organizations in the community to give students a multitude of options to decide what career pathways are out there. Students are more likely to find a booth they are interested in. Students would not even be able to sit down because there would be many varieties within the stations, which keeps everything interesting.

The advisors who organized the event said that all of the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics were included, but yet the Fine Arts were not seen at all. The Band, Visual Arts, Ukulele, Chorus, Dance, Photography and Performing Arts classes should be given time to present their works by students.

Finally, the S.T.E.A.M. Fair should be opened up to the whole community in general. The general population does not need to come amid school hours but could come after school hours to acknowledge student work. With friends,  family, and other individuals being more dynamic in a students life, a student is less likely to skip school, or not fulfill the things that need to be done for school. Seeing the work the student puts out, the parents and families will urge the student to keep up their diligent work and receive a strong education.

Considering that this is only the first year of the S.T.E.A.M. Fair, the Fair was outstanding. Thus by implementing a few changes, the Fair can have a greater impact on the students and the community.